Incoming Mobility

IAE Aix-Marseille Graduate School of Management is happy to host Incoming Exchange Students!

Each year our school hosts exchange students from all around the world. Students are guided and accompanied by the International Centre Team.


To spend an exchange period at our School , partner universities select and nominate their students by e-mail directly to IAE Aix-Marseille Incoming Exchange Programme coordinator. Students are then invited to apply via our online platform Top Apply. As soon as they complete the application and download specific document as requested, an invitation letter is issued accompanied with a welcome package. Upon arrival students must enrol as students of the Aix-Marseille University in order to acquire legal student status in France, to obtain the official enrolment certificate and a student card.

Incoming Exchange Programme Requirements

Exchange Students are required to choose and follow at least 4 courses (12 ECTS) and they are strongly encouraged to follow all courses in one programme. They may enrol in 30 maximum credits per semester.

IAE Aix-Marseille also proposes 8 sessions of elective courses to choose from each academic year. Each session or “plage” offers a selection of transversal themes in management. Incoming Exchange Students may complete their study plan with these courses. A student may take only one course per session, which equals 3 credits. For example a student may accumulate up to 15 credits in the spring semester by taking only elective courses.


The academic year is divided into two semesters. The fall semester starts in September and finishes in December. The spring semester is from January until June. The exact dates are communicated and updates on the Exchange Programme Data Sheet annually.


IAE Aix-Marseille requires a certain level of competency in English to follow the courses: TOEFL iBT 85 (≈TOEIC 800, IELTS 6.5, Cambridge First Certificate in English). Students are not required to have any French language skills. Students who speak fluently French are welcome to follow courses in French.

French Language Course

IAE Aix-Marseille offers “French as a Foreign Language” instruction for exchange students: 2 week long intensive seminar prior to fall semester (not for credits) and during the semester (3 credits).

Course Enrolment

Exchange students enrol in courses with the International Relations Coordinator.

Pedagogical Organisation

Courses are organised in clusters of three or six hours per day over several weeks and in intensive seminar format. There is no special exam period. Full attendance is mandatory.

Grading System

Money Management

International Festival

At IAE Aix-Marseille you will discover a truly unique international environment with students and professors from over 50 different countries. The International Festival is an annual event that is organised by and for the IAE Aix international community to prepare culinary delights as well as to share the specific cultures, and traditions with fellow students. A team composed of French students and our staff is dedicated to help the International Students to make this party a success year after year.

Before leaving your country remember to pack your luggage with recipes and specific spices that may be expensive in France. Also don’t forget to bring traditional costumes to wear.



How do I become an exchange student at IAE Aix-Marseille?
You have to be nominated by your home university. Afterwards you will receive an email with the further instructions.

How can I check that you've received my application and that it is complete?
Once your application verified, we will email you directly to the address specified on your application.

When are the application deadlines?
For the fall semester or whole academic year: April/May. For the spring semester: November.

Do I have to pay tuition fees?
No, exchange students are exempt from tuition fees.

What are the language requirements?
Unless you speak well French, you are required to have a good command of English at an academic level (especially speaking and writing) and you may need to provide English test scores (min. iBT TOEFL 85, IELTS 6).

Do I need to speak French?
Students taking courses in English are not required to have any French language knowledge. However, for everyday life it is very useful to know French at basic level at least.

Do I have to fill in an enrollment form?
Yes, it is mandatory for every student. At the beginning of each semester International Center organise special sessions dedicated to helping students fill in the form, which exists only in French.

What is the official ERASMUS code of IAE Aix-Marseille?
There is one code for whole Aix-Marseille Univeristy and it is F MARSEIL 84.


Does IAE Aix-Marseille organise an Orientation Programme?
Yes, at the beginning of each semester. Try not to miss this one as essential information and registration documents will be given to you during this period. If you miss it contact the International Office as soon as you arrive. You may receive your student card later than the other students.

What are the expectations?
The teaching methods are varied: lectures, case studies, simulations, debates. The teachers expect class participation, teamwork and proper behavior. Also full attendance is mandatory. If you cannot come, contact International Centre by email.

What are the elective courses?
As an Exchange Student you can follow elective courses. They are counted as normal courses: 24 contact hours, 3 credits each. Their peculiarity is that they are delivered in a very concentrated way: four days straight from 9 AM until 5 PM – this is the reason why you can take only one course from each session. These courses are open to all MSc students in our school so they are subject to availability.

Which courses should I take?
For various reasons, mainly because of timetabling, exchange students are required to follow courses of one programme. However, you are not obliged to take all of its courses (with the exception of Master of Global Innovation Management). Minimal workload is 12 credits (4 courses) and maximum is 30.

How can I register for the courses?
As an exchange student, you cannot enrol on-line. You have to do it with the International Relations Coordinator. You will receive an email from us in due time with the instructions. You will be demanded to choose courses within one programme. Remember that the final list is available only at the beginning of each semester and that your course choices have to be validated by International Center.

Who and when will sign my Learning Agreement?
Your Learning Agreement will be signed at the beginning of your stay and verified at the end by one of the International Coordinators.

When I get my Transcript of Records?
It is sent to you by email and to your home university by post approximately six weeks after the end of semester.

Can I change or withdraw from my courses?
Yes, but only before the beginning of the course and you have to have permission form the International Coordinator.

Can I take courses at the other faculties of Aix-Marseille University?

When is the exam period?
There is no one specific exam period. As courses are not necessarily organised on a weekly system (sometimes intensive and sometimes all over the semester), exams are organised at the end of each course but your grade will also be based on a continuous assessment.

Can I learn French while studying in Aix-en-Provence?
We propose the Intensive French Seminar in August and during each semester you can take French classes. Both options are free of charge but only semester long French course is for credit (24 h, 3 ECTS).

How long are semesters?
Fall semester is from September to December; spring semester from January to June.

How long does a class last?
A class generally lasts 3 hours with a 15-minute break.

How many hours will I have in a week?
It depends on the courses that you have chosen.

Where can I find my schedule/class timetable?
Class timetables are available on Google Agenda (you will receive the proper instructions in due time).

How many students are in a class?
It can vary between 10 and 35.

Will I study with French students or is there a special group for international students?
You will be mixed with French degree seeking students.

Where can I get support and advice for studying with disabilities?
Please contact the International Center. We will get you in touch with an appropriate person.

What is the grading system?
At IAE Aix-Marseille we use a 0-20 scale to express all assessment scores. The top grade, 19-20 points, distinguishes an outstanding performance and is rarely awarded. The bottom grade, 0 points is awarded to extremely disastrous performances. Note that the fail range is 0 to 9; and an average of 10 is the threshold passing mark (10-11 C, 12-14 B, 15-16 A, 17-20 A+).

Do I have to do an internship during my exchange?

When I get a student card?
After filling in an enrollment form.

Can I get discounts with my student card?
Yes, you can show your card and you can get certain discounts (cafeteria, cinema, museum etc.).

How much cost textbooks?
They are rarely used. Most of the materials are Internet-based.

Do I have a special email at IAE Aix-Marseille?
Yes, all students are given an email account after the enrolment. Please us it as only on this email teachers and staff will send you all information.

When the campus is open?
The IAE Aix-Marseille campus is open from 8h00 to 20h00.

What services are provided on the campus?
Printing machines, computers, WiFi (you will be given a personal login and a temporary password upon your arrival), study rooms, library, cafeteria.

Am I obliged to bring my laptop?
It is strongly recommended to bring your own laptop.

If I need to go back to my country for a few days during the semester what I am supposed to do?
You have to provide official documentation to justify your absence.

What is the International Festival?
International Festival is an annual event that is organized by and for the IAE Aix-Marseille international students to prepare culinary delights as well as to share the specific cultures and traditions with fellow students. A team composed of French students and IAE staff is dedicated to help the international students to make this party a success year after year.

Can I do a part-time job while I am studying?
Exchange students form the EU can work in France. Other international students are not permitted to work during their first stay in France. However, do not underestimate the workload you will have to handle as the classes need preparation and full attendance. Also a good level of French is needed to get a job.

When are the French public holidays?
Public holidays in the academic year are: All Saints Day 1st November, Armistice Day 11th November, Christmas Day 25th December, New Year’s Day 1st January, Easter Monday, Labour Day 1st May, WWII Victory Day 8th May, Thursday of Ascension in May and Pentecost in June.

What to do if I have a problem?
The exchange is also an opportunity to learn independence. However, if you have any problem, you can contact International Center (1st floor, room 32). Please send an email a day before to announce your coming. The office is open from 8h30 to 16h30 but try to come in the morning.

Visas and entering the country

Do I need a visa to study in France?
European students do not need to meet this requirement. If you are not sure whether or not you require a visa, please consult the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website and Campus France website.

When should I apply for a visa?
It takes some time. You should do it right after receiving an admission letter or at least 3 months before traveling.

Is a tourist visa sufficient for one semester of studies?

What documents do I need to apply for the visa?
The visas are managed by Campus France or the appropriate French authorities in your country.  You will surely need your acceptance letter from IAE and a valid passport.

Which address should I communicate when applying for visa if I don’t know yet my permanent address in France?
You can exceptionally give the address of the IAE Aix-Marseille Campus: Chemin de la Quille 13540 Puyricard, France. Remember though that you will not be lodged there. This is not a housing invitation.

What is an OFII form?
When you apply for a visa to come to France, you receive a document that is used to officially declare your presence in France. Once you arrive, it has to be fill in and sent to the OFII, l’Office Français d’Immigration et d’Intégration. Afterwards, they invite you in for a standard medical visit and to obtain an OFII stamp.

When should I send a form to OFII?
It should be one of the first things you do after your arrival on French territory.

How much costs an OFII stamp?
It is around 58€.

Do I have to send a form to the OFII if I am from the European Union?
No, you are exempt.

Can I obtain a visa at the French border?
No. Long before departure, you have to contact Campus France or relevant French Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

I'm waiting to get a new passport, should I still fill in my application form?
Yes, please do upload a photocopy of your current passport and email us with your passport details as soon as you get your new passport.

When should I arrive? Are there specific dates or hours when I am supposed to arrive?
You are advised to come few days before the semester stars. Also bear in mind that on Sundays the public transport is less frequent and during lunch hours everybody stops to eat, so most offices and even some shops are closed (between 12h30 and 14h00).

What should I do if I miss my train/plane?
You should inform the International Center about the delay.

Do you provide a pickup service from the airport?
IAE Aix-Marseille does not provide the arrival assistance but please forward the International Center your arrival details.

How can I reach IAE Aix-Marseille?
You will find all the information here:

How much money should I bring when I travel to Aix-en-Provence?
It isn’t advisable to bring large sums of cash but you will need some (preferably in small bills) before you open a bank account or find an ATM that is linked to your bank.

What should I bring from home?

  • national identity card for UE students or passport with a visa (if required) and its copies
  • European Health Insurance Card and its copy (if applicable)
  • letter of admission from IAE AixMarseille
  • welcoming package sent by IAE
  • at least 2 passport size photos
  • original birth certificate, international or translated into French or English, and its copy (if you want to apply for the Housing Benefit)
  • your medications
  • traditional costumes and specific spices for International Festival

Can I travel outside France during my exchange?
It depends on your status in France and your county relations. Normally, you can travel inside the Schengen Area but if you are a visa holder, you would need an OFII stamp. We advise you to make enquiries at the French Consulate when applying for your visa.

Health and insurance

What is “sécurite sociale”?
The “sécurité sociale” is the French national social system, it ensures basic social coverage and everyone has access to minimum medical care in France under this system. The University is legally responsible for enroling the students in the system. Students under 28 are required to pay the fee at the time of university enrolment, and are covered for one year from 1 September – 31 August next year.

Do I have to apply for French Student Social Coverage (health insurance) if I have a European Health Insurance Card?
No, but you must provide copy valid until the end of the academic year (August 31 of the next year).

As a Non-European student, can I use my personal private insurance instead of applying for French health insurance?
No, you must request your provider to give you the standard card.

How much does it cost to register with the French Social Security?
Price for the academic year 2016/2017 was 215€. It increases slightly every year (2 or 3 euros).

Can I subscribe and pay the French Social Security Coverage prior my arrival in France?

How long will I be covered by the French Social Security?
From enrolment until next August.

What is “mutuelle”?
The “sécurité sociale” is only the obligatory base of the French national social system. Though it is not mandatory, additional health insurance called “mutuelle” covers the additional 30 to 35% of medical expenses.

What should I do if I get sick?
For a simple health problem, you can ask pharmacist for advice. For a medical consultation, don’t forget to bring your European Health Insurance Card or the enrolment certificate.


What are the housing possibilities?
The exchange students are highly recommended to sign up for housing on the campus. You have to pay rent upfront (1250€ per semester) but it is relatively inexpensive and you do not have to worry about any additional fees like Internet, electricity, etc.

How can I apply for campus housing?
Send an email to International Centre expressing your wish to stay at university campus. Depending on available space we will send you all the necessary information. Remember that you cannot contact CROUS directly because you will be considered as a degree student and it is unlikely that you obtain a room.

Does IAE offer assistance with off-campus housing?
We can give you some tips but if you wish to stay off-campus, it is your responsibility.

Try Studapart

Is there a possibility to be hosted by a French family?

How much should I expect to budget for each month?
It depends on your habits. A bare minimum demanded by French government is 615€/month but it is far from enough to fully enjoy your stay in France.

Can I apply for any financial help?
Mobility grants may be provided by your home university. For the students who stay for longer periods and from moderate income families, there is a possibility to obtain a housing benefit. Apply for it on-line on:

Do I need to have a French bank account?
It is advisable to have one. To open an account you will need: an ID proof (passport or national identity card), a proof of accommodation in France and your student card. When you open an account, remember to ask for: a check book, a credit card if desired (you often have to pay for this service), a R.I.B (relevé d’identité bancaire = slip showing your bank details, used for direct bank transfers such as the housing benefit). Do not forget to close your bank account before your departure!

Where can I buy my public transport card?
Pass Provence can be bought at Aix en Bus Office at the Aix Toursit Office at the Rotonde (see: ). You will need a passport size photo, a passport or national identity card and to fill in a form (in French). The creation of this card costs 5€. Afterwards, each month you have to recharge it for 27€. You can easily find the bus schedules on the website:

What electricity is in France?
It is 220 volts. Keep in mind that the electricity sockets may be different from those in your country.

Are there any supermarkets in the city centre?
Yes, but if you want to have more choice and pay less, there are also bigger supermarkets outside the city centre such a Géant Casino, Carrefour, Lidl, Hyper U, etc.

Are there any laundries in the city centre?
Yes, they are quite popular.

We encourage you to find more about IAE Aix-Marseille and Aix-en-Provence on your own. Here is a list of links it might be worth taking a closer look at: